Thursday, September 13, 2007

To all the fictional characters I've loved before...

Well, with all this hype about Edward lately, I am feeling a little bad about neglecting my other fictional loves. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Edward. But there are many others who deserve a shout-out as well so I've compiled a short list of characters who have influenced my life/appeared in my dreams. Here are my top 3:

Number 1 would have to be Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind. I first read this book in the 5th grade and have since read it probably 10 times or more and every time it just gets better, all 2 million pages of it. No, Clark Gable just doesn't do him justice in the movie and I always liked the book better anyway. Rhett, you will always have my heart. Scarlett, you are a moron. Why can't I be you and make the right decision!!! Heck, Belle Watling doesn't have much to complain about, either. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to read the book.

Another hottie that wow, is just hot, is Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, the book and the 5 hour movie. Don't waste your time on the shorter movies. It is well well well worth 5 hours of anyone's time to be in love with him. I have the DVDs if you need to borrow them. My favorite thing about Darcy is that at first I thought, oh, what's so special about him, but by the end, every little twitch of his eyebrow leaves me fanning myself and thinking, oh man, I need water. Colin Firth is a perfect Mr. Darcy. Trust me. This is one of the few movies that I really enjoy more than the book.

While we're on the subject of movies, Captin Von Trapp from The Sound of Music, while not entirely fictional, is also just well, hot, for lack of a better word. When I was young and we would watch the movie over and over I really never even noticed him. I was actually a little grossed out by the dancing-in-the-gazebo scene, and I thought Rolff was cute, which is just embarrassing. But a few years ago I watched the movie again and I was like, oh my good heavens, no wonder Maria is constantly making a fool of herself. He is like the hottest old guy ever. And Maria is such a nerd. He would totally be better off with me. Note to self, though: don't get too excited. I saw him on a talk show recently and he's about 100 years old and he looks horrible (the actor who plays him, I mean, and I'm not even going to tell you his name because then you'll look him up and be like, blah! sick!). I was way disappointed, but I can still watch the movie and pretend he looks like he did in the second World War. And I can pretend I'm Maria, minus the hideous hair-do. I mean really. Besides that, she's such a wuss. I totally would have sent those kids off to boarding school. Except maybe Frederick. He had potential. And sorry about the long white arm in the picture. Ever hear of self-tanner, Maria?

Well, the list could go on and on. I guess I should try to pick some more contemporary loves, but Edward about sums it up in that category. And yes, he is only 17, but really he's like 100. I'm sensing a pattern here, though... do I have a thing for old guys? Hmmm... who did I name my first son after? I guess maybe I do.

8 comments:

carrie said...

I LOVE this post!! You are such a creative person... I have to admit, since you did...that I love the "old characters", too!! I fell in love with Robert Redford in The Way We Were...when I was just LITTLE. I still die over that movie.... I love the old Doris Day movies, too. I just love those old, cute, romantic comedies. I want to borrow your Pride and Prejudice DVDs though!! I've never read the book though.... Should I?? I guess I need to be more "cultured", huh?? There aren't many modern day leading men that I die over...BUT I do have to admit here in your blog...that Matthew was given his name because I had just watched "A Time To Kill", with Matthew McCaughnahey(HOWEVER you spell it!!) in it...and I just loved him. How embarassing, huh?? Oh well!! ha ha Jaxon is named after a SOAP OPERA character!! Bo (Boden) was actually named after my grandparents, so that's OK.... Bella was named after a character in a book that Jason liked. I guess I'm lucky I'm not pregnant again, with a little boy, or the poor kid would end up named Edward, huh?? Matthew's Dad's Grandma always forgot Matthew's name when he was a baby...and she ALWAYS would say, "Little Edward sure is a beautiful baby". Go figure...ha ha Oh well, I'm writing a novel on your blog. I'm so sorry!! I hope you're feeling OK...and that your Dr appt went well!! Keep me posted!!

Aaron said...

that is great! I love it
I love all of the comments about the sound of music i hated that movie! isnt his name Gayog?

a-anderson said...

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love musicals. Love the picture of you and the Captain. You go together so well!

alison said...

Oh my gosh... this is the funniest post I have ever read. You and Gayog (haha aaron) look SO good together!! Jason will be jealous. Haha. I am still laughing!

Oceanchild said...

I've been thinking about you and Capt. von Trapp lately because Landon LOVES the Sound of Music. And we watch it twice a day. He really is hot in that movie and yes Maria's hair is disgusting. I have to disagree with the Fredrick comment, though. Both of those boys could use some of their dad's mean manliness.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I love your little engagement picture on this post. Ha ha...I laughed at Aaron's little comment. This was a great post...little Abby has so much to look forward too!

carrie said...

Anne Marie...I just had to THANK YOU for the secret drugs for Bella. (ha ha) She actually slept all night, and woke up this morning and actually had an appetite. After breakfast, she was still tired, so I put her down...and she is still napping at almost 11am!! This may sound crazy, but she hasn't been sleeping for the past week. I appreciate you telling me about the stuff I won't even attempt to spell...and for being such a good friend!! And, by the way....sorry Jason sent Jaxon to your door dressed that way yesterday!! I was so embarassed.... Yikes!! That kid is always dressing up in some crazy outfit/costume. Anyway, I hope you're feeling good....I'm counting down the days with you!! =)

Teresa said...

i thought Mr. Darcy was our numero uno for life!!!???