Thursday, May 1, 2008

I did something!

I have accomplished relatively few things in my life. Five, to be exact. Marriage, three kids, and now... an apron! Yes, you heard me right. I made an apron! A few months ago my cute cousin Tami posted about how she was going to make an apron. I thought it was so cute, and when she posted the finished product, I knew I had to try. I have never been much of a seamstress, but I thought, how hard can it be? I remember when Tami was born. If she can do it, well, I can do it, too. Never mind the fact that she is one of those extremely talented people that can do anything, and actually does do everything. But I decided to ignore that fact. I ordered the pattern, picked out some fabric at Broadbent's in Lehi, where they actually treated me decent for once (sore subject), and got out my lovely $88 sewing machine. The next month was spent perusing the pattern and trying to figure out sewing terminology. Yes, I took 4-H for about a hundred years. No, I don't remember anything I learned. But a few things did sound vaguely familiar and I spent a lot of time on the Internet figuring it out. I have a problem called "I don't learn anything unless I figure it out myself" and also another problem called "Stubborn as a mule" so although I could have spent an afternoon with my mother-in-law and had it completely done, with no mistakes, I wanted to figure it out myself so I would really KNOW something. I only called my mom about it one time because I was confused if having the fabric "right sides facing" was the same as having the fabric "right sides together". If so, why would they not just say "right sides together" all the time? Right sides facing (facing what? out or in?) must be the opposite of right sides together. But apparently no, they mean the same thing. So that is good to know. I also learned how to do the following things: baste, top stitch, create a gather, make a bias binding, make darts, use fusible interfacing, stab myself with pins repeatedly, and my proudest accomplishment: the invisible ladder stitch. That one took me a while, but once I figured it out, I loved it with all my heart. The apron is not perfect by any means, but I really don't care. It is like one of my children. Not perfect, but I will defend it to the death. I was actually really surprised at how much I loved the whole process. I found myself letting out little squeals of joy every time I made any progress. The most frustrating thing was not having a large block of time to work on it. I require complete silence and no distractions when I am really trying to figure something out, and that just never happens with 3 kids. I finally started getting up really early in the morning and working on it before the kids were awake, which was surprisingly fun. Now, let me explain the pictures. This apron is, in fact, reversible, so it is kind of like I made two aprons and have now accomplished six things in my life instead of five. It can tie in the front or the back. In the yellow picture, I didn't realize it wasn't tied high enough, so I kind of look like an idiot. Forgive me. I will not make that mistake again. Now, I would really love to learn how to make skirts. Skirts are never long enough for me, and I have such a hard time finding them, and how hard can they be, really.... I know, I know, famous last words.

30 comments:

Mary said...

Look at you being all domestic! I love it. Good Job!

Lindsay said...

DARLING! I have a love of aprons - I have 3 that I switch between. I'm so jealous of you Anne Marie, you are absolutely gorgeous - I mean it. I know we aren't supposed to covet - but I covet your body. Ok , that sounds bad, but you know what I mean. You look smokin HOT! And way to be ambitious, your apron looks great! Good job! I think I might steal your pattern and have my momma make me one, I know myself well enough that I won't make one - - Daren might make it for me though - he's a sewer...

Savage Family said...

WOW those are so cute!!! You are so talented!!!

Stephanie F. said...

Omigosh I love the apron(s)! It looks cute enough to be a dress! I'm very impressed :)

Oceanchild said...

So cute. I love them. I've thought about trying something like sewing, but then I realize I'm much better at shopping. Can't wait to see some skirts.

Heidi P said...

Seriously Anne Marie-- waking up early to sew!?! Wow, you are nuts. But you freaking look like BARBIE in that apron... Cute, long, thin, domestic Barbie... brat


: )
I want one. Not that I even cook, but its really cute!

Lorin and Janice said...

Very impressive and so dang cute. I think it is so cool that aprons are becoming so fashionable. We have to look good while we slave away in the kitchen right? It is so fun to read about the things you are doing.

WeTheTeeples said...

It turned out so cute. I love it. I can't believe you wake up early to sew. you must have really wanted to get that apron done. I don't think there is anything worth getting up before the kids for.
I agree with you on the skirt thing. I can never find them long enough either, so when you find a cute skirt pattern let me know. Then you can make me one. j/k.
And your yard looks great!

a-anderson said...

I am so impressed. The apron looks darling. You are just like your cousin (one of those people who can do everything). You should also try apron modeling. You look great, which is really depressing to see as I get bigger by the minute.:)

Christie said...

I am way impressed. I cannot even sew on a button, let alone something to wear. It looks great! Nice job.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

What do you mean you don't sew??!!! If I remember correctly you and I made some KILLER bags at the humanitarian thing at the church... LOL....
Good for you! Your aprons look great. Sorry you have a sore spot for Broadbents.. I love that store. You should check out Quilt 'N Cuzzins on 900 North and about 900 West in Lehi.. It's cute too.

Stephanie said...

That is sooo cute. I love aprons and think this is probably the cutest apron I have ever seen!

I am signing up for sewing classes at Nuttalls in AF, maybe after I learn to sew this will be my first project.

Way to go!

Teresa said...

Holy cow, did you just post that today & you already have 12 comments? geez! I think your friends are in love with you. You are amazing. Those are so dang cute! You'll have to teach us how at LP '08! & hellooooo why isn't your hot little face showing in the pictures?

Christa said...

Anne Marie, you are so good at everything you do. Always so creative!! The apron looks so good, you did a great job!!!

Andrea said...

AnnMarie!! Those are the cutest aprons I have ever seen! I need one and I want one!! I am not kidding! You are so cute in them! I love it when I can figure something out on my own and actually accomplish it. It will be a while before I accomplish this though, my sewing machine has been broke for quite sometime now but this is definitley on my list of things to sew! Very cute.......

The Spradlin Family said...

Cute Aprons! I guess you actually need to cook to use an apron, right? :) Your blog is always so fun to read. And about your comment on my blog, Cirina is my sister. She's pretty funny.

Jilleen said...

Cute! Cute! I saw Tami's and thought that would be fun to make, but then talked myself out of it because I envisioned the whole process of cutting, sewing, unstitching, sewing, unstitching some more, crying, finally finishing it, but hating it and never using it. That's pretty much how my sewing projects go. So really, I don't sew unless I HAVE to. You may have inspired me though... I'll let you know.

carrie said...

I know everyone has been saying it already, but that is seriously THE cutest apron I've ever seen!! You are so talented....and like Lindsay said, you're just HOT. :o) I was sad you cut your face off though!! I'm so impressed that you taught yourself that. I have always wanted to learn to sew...and I'm just an idiot like that. I think everyone is in agreement....and loves the apron AND you. :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't cook but I think I might like it better if I had an apron like that! Okay-maybe I wouldn't like cooking better, but I'd just wear the apron around all day! That is ADORABLE! I love your choice of fabric! At first I thought it was a shirt dress. You are such a babe :)

Tami said...

Hey Anne Marie, I'm so impressed! I have to admit, I had a lot of help from my Mom (who even struggled at times) to pull that off. Seriously, good job! I know what you mean by a lot of things were written kind of different in that pattern like the "right sides facing". We struggled with the bias at the top for awhile, too. My mom said it was the hardest to follow pattern she's ever seen! Anyway, love the fabric and I love your ambition. I would never have had the patience to try to figure it all out on my own. My mom wants to make these and sell them, but they take sooo long to make! Anyway, it's fun to keep in touch through blogs especially with cousins I only see maybe once a year. I'm finally catching up with everyone's. I love reading your cute blog. I can't wait to see some cute skirts!

Shelly said...

That is the cutest apron. Now I am inspired to do something with my sewing machine. I got my blog up and running (still in progress) ryandshell.blogspot.com love, Shelly

alison said...

My birthday is August 4th. If you are itching to make another one... keep me in mind. :) Love the apron... Love you... Love everything!

Annie said...

I love it! I do not have an apron but I would if it looked like that one! I am so impressed that you figured it out by yourself! What a talent! I don't see it as stubborn, I see it as independent. Look what YOU accomplished! Way to go Anne Marie!

Anonymous said...

LOOKS GOOD!!!! I COULD NEVER LOOK LIKE THAT IN A APRON....I NEED A MOO MOO ,,,

Heidi J. said...

That has got to be the cutest apron ever you are so good!! I can't sew I have tryed mini times just ask Dusty I was trying to make those scripture bags at super saturday it was a good that I had Dusty their bacause I am not as good as you.

ortonfive said...

I am finding out so much about you. You have many hidden talents. You'll have to teach me. Like you I own a pretty fancy $80 target special sewing machine. However, I'm determined to learn to sew something, anything, and I'm lazy. I'd rather have someone show me then actually spend the time learning something on my own. Pretty pathetic. oh well. I can't wait for lunch. I'll give you a call.

ortonfive said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Nice job, it is way cute! I will have to post a pic of mine-I had to have my mom help me cuz ya, it's a hard one! Let's wear them to church sometime :)

Anonymous said...

So cute ampy! I love it! I really love the colors too. You are amazing!

Aaron said...

I like the part where you said "Its reversible so its like I made two Aprons!!" You sound just like me! I love the aprons!