Monday, November 3, 2008

A huntin' I will go...




I wasn't going to post this, but last week was Jason's birthday and I gave him what was probably the best present of all time. I mean besides the chocolate covered cinnamon bears. I guess the story starts at Christmas two years ago when I was desperate for a present for Jason, so I signed up for Hunter's Safety and gave him the receipt in a huge box. I really didn't intend on ever going through with the actual class, but he made sure I went and shot guns with a bunch of sweaty 12-year-olds in the basement of a Pleasant Grove city building and got my lovely little certificate in the mail a few weeks later. I still did not plan to ever actually go hunting. Little did I know, he was busy putting me in for every hunt he could think of. I haven't drawn out for anything too crazy yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time (not that I will go if I do - yeah, right). This year I just got a general deer tag and there was some pretty significant bribery in getting me to go at all. The stakes were that if I shot a deer I can get laser eye surgery. So, two weeks ago, the kids stayed at my in-laws' overnight and we headed out to West Canyon at about 4:30 am. It's all a blur now, but there was a long 4-wheeler ride, an even longer hike, and I found myself on top of a mountain before the sun came up. I got a few good pictures of the sunrise, but then the camera batteries went dead and we had to take the rest of the day's pictures on camera phones (sorry, Jason!). It was actually pretty fun being out in the wild and feeling adventurous, especially because I was sure we wouldn't even see any deer. We hiked around for a while, and then at about 9:00 it happened. Jason spotted a bunch of deer. There was a chase, some more hiking, and eventually I had a gun in my hand and he was trying to help me aim it, yelling in a desperate whisper, "Shoot! Shoot!" So I did what I had to do to make my husband love me more than I ever thought possible. I shot a huge deer. It's funny because we really didn't know how big it was until we found him. I figured it was pretty good, though, when Jason started giggling like a little girl and saying, "He's got cheaters! He's got cheaters!" over and over. Not that anyone knows or cares about the score of a deer, but it scored 172, had 5 points on each side, and eye guards. I wish I didn't know what those things meant, but I have been married to a hunter for long enough that I could probably write a book on scoring animals. Guys. Why does it always have to be a competition with them? Isn't killing something enough? I guess not. Anyway, I felt really bad for a while, and I talked it over with the deer and petted him on the head (with gloves on, of course) and I think he was glad to give his life so I can see. There really are a lot more deer out there, and his little deer friends didn't even act sad or anything. They just stood there and watched us, so I figure, the deer has lived his life, and now he will live on. On the wall of Jason's office.

20 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, I'm impressed!! What a great wife you are--you look so tough in your hunting garb...I'm a little scared.

The Spradlin Family said...

That's awesome. What a great wife you are. I need to do that for Kevin. He would love it if I went hunting with him.
It was great to see you at the work trick or treating. Your kids are adorable and they're all getting so big. Let's do lunch before the hustle and bustle of the holidays begin.

carrie said...

Anne Marie...you're such a good sport. :o) I love what you wrote 'cause you're so stinking funny, too. I also loved the pictures of your cute kids on Halloween. I can't believe how they're growing up. I'm with you on dressing up.... I really want to next year. We'll have to see.... ha ha It was really good to talk to you this morning. I hope you have fun in Kansas!!

Joanne said...

I know. You're welcome. It was nice to see you too. Abby is so cute! We'll have to talk more next time. I was looking for you before we left for Bennington and spoke with Allison and Shayna..Did I get that right? Anyways, we'll have to talk more next time we see each other maybe reunion or just something.
You are such a good sport. You are a brave Woman. I have been to a shooting range with my brother but not HUNTING!
About Halloween, Im, with you on the dressing up. I have always been a witch. I love clothes, so next yr, I might do some 1920's or 1960's. I dont know, we'll see.

Amanda said...

Horray for LASIK! (oh, and hooray for hubby too!) You will love LASIK...I had mine a couple of years ago...CONGRATUALTIONS!!!:)

Joy said...

I told my husband about this post and he had to read it because it was about hunting. And you are right, guys are so funny. He was jelous that you got such a good deer. Nice job. And you forsure get wife of the year award!!

Jilleen said...

Like everyone else... I'm impressed! Cute Halloween kiddies too!

Heidi P said...

Okay, sorry..but I almost barfed when the pictures came up!!? :)
I am impressed, sick, but impressed. Hope you get some serious foot massages out of Jason for that!! :)

Stephanie F. said...

I'm glad you made your husband giggle :)
Lasik was the best money I ever spent!

Oceanchild said...

I don't know how you did it, but I think if a surgery was on the line, I've figure out a way to do it too. Luckily jeff would rather shoot me than an animal. You are a good sport with the hunter husband!

Teresa said...

You are so cool!! That is awesome that you did that. Good job, now I want to get a deer.

Christie said...

You are a great wife and mountain woman! Way to support your hubby.

a-anderson said...

You Rock, enough said!

Anonymous said...

Finally a picture! I love it...and you look so cute. I bet the deer was happy to sacrifice his life for your sake. You can't put a price on eye sight.

Tara said...

You are one tough woman! I saw the legs of a dead deer in the back of a truck in Lehi the other day and freaked out at that! YIKES!

Aaron said...

Wow...I honestly didn't think you shot that when you first showed it to us. But wow that is big!

Tiffany said...

That's an incredible deer. You are awesome and you look like a model in your outfit. Maybe you should send in a copy to hunters magazine and make a few extra bucks. Congrats. I'm impressed.

Shelly said...

You are so cute! I love it, that you will go hunting with him. I am so impressed on your kill. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Okay, what is Jason going to give you for "the coolest wife ever" award?! I can't imagine the depths of adoration he must have for you! Good Job :)

The McCluskeys said...

I love your posts! You are so funny. And it's not fair that you always look so beautiful ...even when you're hunting! :-)