Friday, August 29, 2008

The ONLY reason I welcome the end of summer....

Peach Dessert!!! This is a family favorite that I wait all year for. I'm pretty sure fresh peaches were invented for this dish, to help me say goodbye to my favorite season, summer, and hello to my second favorite season, fall. Spring is my third favorite, and winter is dead last, if you must know. So anyway, feeling a little depressed earlier this week at the passing of summer, I bought me a bag of peaches and whipped up a batch of Peach Dessert (not a very creative name, I know, but I'm sticking with tradition here). The good news is I had it all to myself because I didn't really tell my family about it. The bad news is, well, I ate it all by myself. Oh well, a can of sweetened condensed milk can't have THAT many calories, can it? And it was spread over a period of three days, so that basically cuts it down by two-thirds per day. Oh, who cares, I'm just going to count it as therapy. I really needed it.
Here is the recipe, for your post-summer, pre-fall pleasure:

Peach Dessert
40+ crushed Vanilla Wafers, reserving some for top
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
8 oz. Cool Whip
5 cups diced fresh peaches
Combine first three ingredients in bottom of 9x13 pan. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over wafer mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crushed wafers. Refrigerate. See how easy that was, and how much better you feel?

25 comments:

Annie said...

This is a family favorite of ours as well. I'm scared to make it because I haven't had good luck with peaches this summer. I'm also scared to make it because I know I can eat the entire pan!

carrie said...

Anne Marie...That looks delicious. I love love love peaches...so I'm going to try this on Sunday for dessert. YUM. I agree with your friend....I'm scared I'll eat it all myself!! If I looked like you, I wouldn't worry about it though!! :o)

Christa said...

Love!

a-anderson said...

looks yummy! i love peaches too. I will have to try it.

Heidi P said...

Ahh looks yummy. Although, I normally don't count anything with fruit in it- dessert! :) But it does look good, but it would only be theraputic for me if someone else made it.
I needed a pick me up this week too...I am still waiting for it. Maybe I need to go buy a package of oreos for myself to enjoy all weekend ;)

Julie W said...

I have a 20 year old peach tree and the peaches are just starting to blush. I can't wait for the first ripe picking to make this!

Tara said...

Anything including a whole can of sweetend condensed milk can't be bad, right? It is much cheaper then real therapy and tastes better too! I am stealing this recipe-YUM!

Oceanchild said...

I feel better having read this post and I'm pretty sure I'll try this tonight! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Man, Ann-Marie I think that you must be quite a chef. I always love your food post. You always have such delicious recipes. I'm stealing this one too, hey, can I just come over and raid your recipe book? Thanks for sharing this.

Joanne said...

Peaches,Peaches,Peaches.I would love to try this recipe. I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Shelly said...

Look good! That is kind of like Grandma Cranes peach dessert. I will have to try it.

Alicia said...

I don't know how you can eat all that and still stay so thin! I just look at a dessert like that and my pants feel tighter!

It does look yummy, though!

Joanne said...

Yeah, we can't wait to watch The Office too. "That's what she said" =)

janae said...

It looks so good! I wish my husband liked peaches. Oh well, I might have to make it and eat it myself.

Christie said...

That looks so yummy. Of course you had to post it the week after my peaches are all gone (they ripened super early this year). Oh well - maybe next year. I'd probably eat it all myself too.

Tiffany said...

Sounds yummy and i'm going to try it. You are so cute and skinny I say you can eat what you want, when you want and as much as you want.

Andrea said...

This looks delicious!!! You always have the best recipes AnnMarie! I'm going to try this one, I love peaches. And yes, a can of condensed milk is fat free :)

Joy said...

I am so going to buy these ingredients tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!! How are you guys?

Sierra said...

That sounds so lovely, I think I'm going to have to run to the store and get a few things... Even better news-Ty's allergic to peaches, so there's no competition there. I have the same season preferences in that order. Winter is last, but only because it lasts so long. If it was two months of snow like every other season, I would enjoy it, but it wears out it's welcome.

The Spradlin Family said...

Those look yummy. Can you use other fruit too? I'm sure you can. I hope all is well with you guys!

Anonymous said...

K, you are SO DANG funny and I just love ya :) And that looks so yummy and not even too hard! We'll have to try it for sure!

Cutie Pies said...

mmmm I love peaches. Think I'll be trying this one.

Kassi's been wanting to have Dallin over to play sometime, too.

Julie W said...

So I finally made this dessert for our book club last night and it was a hit! I cannot believe how good it was!
Thanks for a great recipe.

Savage Family said...

Yum! That looks so yummy!

TheOrttFamily said...

Yes I am one of those blog stalkers..hehe But I had to tell you I tried this tonight and loved it..Thanks for sharing it was so yummy!! Vanessa