Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Birthday to my sweet six year old Dallin!

Six years ago tonight I was in the hospital with a brand new baby boy, wondering how I had ever lived a day without him. I can't believe that helpless little baby is now a big, responsible six year old! I remember being six. I remember my sixth birthday party. I remember what it felt like, and now my very own child is that age! It freaks me out a little bit. But today I tried not to think too hard about it, and we had a great day. Dallin wanted a "hunting birthday" and that is what he got. The festivities started last night with a birthday party at Jason's parents' house. Dallin got lots of fun presents, including a "hunting" quilt that he LOVES made by his Grandma Rita. I made camo cupcakes, which was fun, and I was quite proud of them. Dallin woke up today so excited for his special day, but he didn't want anything different than he usually does. Cinnamon toasters for breakfast, ramen noodles for lunch, nothing out of the ordinary. He had his (our) first friend party ever and it went really well. I was nervous but I didn't have to stress too much because Jason took the afternoon off work and took care of most of it. He bought Dallin's presents, decorated the cake, planned the games, and managed the party. Lucky me! I just got to enjoy it. It pays to have a husband who is trying (successfully) to pass his obsessions on to his children, at least on birthdays.

The camo cupcakes.

The cake that Jason built. Yes, there is a guy in a tree stand (hooked to the trunk of the dead apple tree that used to stand in our yard) getting ready to shoot his choice of a javelina, a deer walking down a mountain trail, a moose wading in a lake, or a bear wandering through the woods. I baked the cake and made the frosting, Jason did the rest.

The party started with a little shooting competition. The little herd of animals on the floor were the victims.

Pin the horns on the deer. Jason drew the deer, of course.

Dallin was quite proud that he got so close. The only problem was that the horns were upside down. Oh well, good job anyway.

Dallin got (another!) new bow from his daddy.

The kids got to try shooting at a target in the basement. They were a fun group!

I love this age.

Notice how I paved the mountain path with the candles, like at a reception or something? See, I can be creative, too!

We finished the day with a little family trip to Chuck-e-Cheese's. Dallin and Luke had a great time, and we all put on lots of hand sanitizer afterward.

My three hunting fools.
(Yes, guy at the soda fountain with the saggy bum, I am taking a picture and you are in it. What's your point?)
It really was a great day, and I can't believe I am now the mother of a six year old! I just love that little boy. Congratulations to me!

21 comments:

Christa said...

I can't believe how old Dallin is! He is so cute! I love the camo cupcakes- way to go!

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Fun Party! I love the "pin the horns on the deer" game.. Who would have known Jason was so artistic! Your cake is great too!! Good for you. For Madi's birthday cake she got a bunch of sprinkles on her cake, yours turned out great! Happy Birthday!!

alison said...

Yes, I really can't believe little Dallin is 6 now!! It seems like yesterday we were all at Applebees eating and you started having contractions. So we ALL went to the hospital with you and waited until the wee hours of the morning to hear his little cry. Happy Birthday Dallin! Love the cupcakes, the cake, Dallin's smile, everything! :)

The Spradlin Family said...

Happy Birthday to Dallin. I can't believe how fast time goes by. I remember coming to your house when you were pregnant with him. Crazy. It looks like he had a great day. And what a cute idea for a party. You can guarantee that I will be copying you when Tyler gets older.

Oceanchild said...

I always remember Dallin's b-day because I think he should have been named Phil. :)

You are such a good mom to put up with THREE hunting fools and still make camo cakes. That is awesome. Someday I want to be you...only with fewer bos....(is that how you spell it?)

Heidi J. said...

Happy Birthday Dallin! I love that our little one share a B-day!! he is so cute and always makes sure to tell me hi on fridays.I loved all the camo!

Stephanie said...

What a fun Birthday!

Joanne said...

Happy Birthday!

Joanne said...

BTW, love the pic of that "extra" by the soda fountain...LOL

a-anderson said...

What a fun party! Cole was looking with me and saying mom I like those animals too. I want that, look mom!! Even in photos it was a hit with the little guys. I love how Jason got so into the party, games, cake decorating, and even the camo shirt. A six year old, they grow up so fast.

The Gatherum Family said...

OH my gosh! Neal is gonna die when I show him this party idea and I am not gonna lie, I am prob going to have to steal it from you! Can you believe that you are old enough to have a SIX year old?!? It still blows my mind that my kids are THAT old. He is so cute, hope he had a great day. Welcome back to blogging btw!

Tiffany said...

What a great boy birthday. Love the cake and stuff. Just wait till he is turning 8 that's when you get all misty eyed at where the time went.

Shelly said...

Time flies, doesn't it? I remember when you told Jilleen and I you were pregnant with Dallin. Looks like he had a great day. You are such good parents.

Teresa said...

Dallin is so funny, it looks like he had a great day. I love the camo cupcakes & the cake!! You & Jason are so creative!! Love it all.

kdph said...

Happy birthday Dallin. Sorry for the late comment, but we thought of the little groundhog all day long. He is so cute, and I'm glad we could be there right after he was born 6 years ago. He really is the #1 grandson/nephew. We love you Dallin!

kdph said...

Oh, and I love your new blog colors...so cute!!

Christie said...

I can't believe he is 6! I totally remember when he was born. And what a creative party. I bet Jason was in heaven.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

I was thinking about you wondering how you are! I can see fabulous! Happy Birthday Dallin! What a good looking kid. I am sure Dallin will remember his 6 year old party like you did yours! I needed a creative boost for my baby's Birthday coming so thanks!

Tiffany said...

I went private if you would like an invite let me know your email address.

Tony and Marci Harward said...

You are one creative mommy (and daddy)! Tony always takes care of my boys birthdays too. It sure helps and I think they enjoy it as much as the kids do! You are an inspiration to me!