Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mexico 2009

Well, we had a fantastic trip to Mexico!! We left on my birthday, which was so fun. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I kept telling myself "Happy birthday, you're going to Mexico!" We left the kids with Jason's parents and it was so nice to not have to worry about them at all while we were gone. Jason insisted on calling them every single day (or arranging for them to call us), and it was fun to hear how much fun they were having without us. Let me tell you right now, traveling without kids is a BREEZE. I kept feeling like I was forgetting something or I should be doing something, and then I'd think, "Oh yeah, no kids! I can just sit here and read!!" It was awesome. We made it to the airport on time despite the several inches of SNOW we woke up to, and just marched right in to the airport. We had a birthday lunch at TGIFriday's in the Dallas airport, and for some reason it was soooo good. Then it was off to Cancun! Once we stepped outside, a lady holding a "Mr. Yates" sign ushered us to a Suburban and we headed down to our resort. It was gorgeous!!

It was about an hour south of Cancun on the Mayan Riviera near a town called Playa Del Carmen.

There were big freaky lizards all over the place.

Crazy tropical birds...
And these little guys. This is a coati (pronounced "ka-WAT-ee"). They were zooming around the hotel grounds in the late evenings and no one knew what they were. They seemed vaguely familiar to me from listening to episodes of Diego in the background of my life, so we called Dallin and described them to him. Of course, he immediately said, "That's a coati!" and told us all about them. Then we were able to pretend we were intelligent when one zipped across our path and other people shrieked, "What the h--- was that?!!!" "Well, it's actually a cousin of the racoon, the coati. They are native to this part of Mexico..."



Yes, my favorite part of the trip was probably the food. I could live on french fries with guacamole. I don't think a better food combination exists!! And there is nothing like guacamole in Mexico. I did not hold back while we were there.


Jason likes to show off his calves when he senses that I am taking pictures of him from behind.

We climbed to the top of this huge Mayan temple. We took a day trip where we went to several different Mayan ruins, went zip lining across a lake, rappelling into a "cenote", which is an underground cave with water in it, and to a remote Mayan village and ate authentic Mayan food. I was holding my breath, just waiting to get sick, but neither one of us got sick the whole time we were there. Yay!

This is inside the temple at the top.

At the top of the temple from the outside.

And then, of course, the beaches.
Here we are being fugitives late one night at a neighboring resort's beach, which was just a short walk down the beach from our resort. For some reason, it was so fun to hang out at the other resorts and explore all their amenities. We almost tried out their food, but decided we better keep it legal, so we settled for watching their entertainment and relaxing on their cots.

And here we are in 30 years on my 62nd birthday. We are totally going to let it all hang out (Jason especially). I can't wait!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ampy! I loved this entry. I think I enjoyed your trip to Mexico just as much as you did by reading this post. It sounds amazing! You are so cute in all the pictures. I love Jason's pic of him showing off his calves. I liked all the pics of the crazy animals. French fries and guac sounds delicious. However, my favorite picture was of you and Jason in 30 years. If only we could be as lucky! Thanks for updating your blog. :) Now you have to post about the owl.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Aww so jealous!! That's great you got to go on a fun little getaway!! Great pictures. I'm glad you had fun!

The Spradlin Family said...

I just wanted you to know that I am not jealous in any way, shape, or form. I do not wish I could have been there-I enjoyed being here during these past couple of snow filled spring days. Man, that trip must have sucked.

Did you buy any of that?????

carrie said...

Anne Marie, I am SO jealous right now! What pretty pictures...and it sounds like a great vacation for you guys! I love the beach so much...and I cannot wait to go this year. It is just SO relaxing to me...even with my kids! ha ha I'm so glad you had a good birthday! I thought of you...and I was jealous then, too! How lucky you were to be heading to sunshine and beaches and relaxation while it DUMPED SNOW on all of us here! :o) I can't wait to reschedule our outing! I've missed you!

Teresa said...

It looks & sounds like so much fun!! I'm glad everything went really good for you guys & especially since it was all for your birthday/valentine's day. The food sounds sooooo good. you're so cute!!

Tiffany said...

What an awesome trip. I'm so glad you had fun. Someday i'll get to go somewhere cool. Love the animals and best of all your future picture. You always make me laugh even though I doubt you could ever look like that women you're too beautiful.

Lindsay said...

I think I'll go with everyone else and say...I'M SO JEALOUS!

Joanne said...

Ohhh, so fun! Glad you had a great birthday and the pics were lovely. I can't wait for us to go on a trip without the kids. Ohhhh those guac sound soooo delish right now, and yes esp. from Mexico. I also love the "30 yrs from now" pic. I doubt you guys look like that. BUT i like the idea of "letting it all out" H-I-L-R-I-O-U-S. I

a-anderson said...

Glad just the two of you could get away are relax. It looks so beautiful! Happy Birthday too!

Alicia said...

Ha ha! The guy in the last pic doesn't look like he's interested in flexing anything for the camera! Too funny! So glad you got to take such a fun trip for your birthday. You deserve it!

Shelly said...

I am so jealous but glad you got to get away for awhile without having to worry about the kids. We go close to there (Akumal), every other year with Ryan's family. We went with friends last year also. I think it is better than Hawaii. I might be killed by some for saying that but that is what I think. I will have to talk to you about where those ruins were. It sounds so fun! We have gone to Tulum and Coba ruins. You look great in your photos (You always do thought) :-)