Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yellowstone 2011

We took the kids to Yellowstone earlier this month. It was so fun! The kids always have fun, but sometimes the mama doesn't enjoy it as much as I should. It's hard with a baby! But little Jake was pretty darn good and it turned out to be a really good trip. We went fishing, hiking, saw tons of animals (11 bears!), slept in the trailer, ate lots of s'mores, saw some amazing sunsets, and just basically had a really good time together. I was sad to come home! And that is saying something. This was our third trip to Yellowstone, and I definitely think there is a learning curve to enjoying this trip (for me, anyway). It takes just the right campground, and the right amount of time spent AWAY from the crowds. The eastern part of the park is so amazing, but most people just drive around the Old Faithful loop and miss the best parts. Which is good for us. If you need any advice on what to do/where to stay, etc. when you go to Yellowstone, let me know. We have learned through trial and error and I would be glad to share our tips and tricks to enjoying the park. Dallin said about 100 times, "Can we live here?" and "This was so worth the drive!" I'm not sure I'm ready to move to Yellowstone, but I am already looking forward to next year's trip.
Can't go to Yellowstone without seeing Old Faithful. Well, I could, but no one else could.
Fly fishing.
So beautiful!
Watching Old Faithful.
There were so many bears this year!
Lukie Dukie.
Jake was thrilled to get out of his car seat any chance he got.
Sunset over Yellowstone Lake.
Abby with her new pet bear, Claw. There was still a lot of snow in the higher elevations!
We went on the prettiest hike to Trout Lake. The fish were spawning and were all in a stream above the lake. The kids were trying to catch them with their hands! I don't know if I've ever seen happier kids in my life.
That is a bear to the right of Luke!!
This sunset was so incredible, it looked like fire!
Fishing in Jackson on the way home.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

We need to go with yo guys next year! We NEVER see any animals and we kind of got sick of a lot of Yellowstone. We are obviously doing it wrong. Glad you had fun.

Tara said...

We want to go next summer. I will definitely hit you up for info. Looks amazzing!

Joanne said...

I haven't been blogging because of Pinterest! Anyways, we went to Yellowstone this summer too (August) and we missed all the bears. The boys were so bummed! But we saw elks and bison. They wanted to see wolves and bears! Anyways, we had fun! I love the pics and your kids are gowing up and Jake is 1! Wow... :))