Thursday, July 24, 2008

Our Mini-Vacation

Last weekend we took the kids on a "mini-vacation" and had so much fun. We stayed at my in-law's awesome cabin above Rockport Reservoir, which is past Park City about 10 minutes. It was so nice to have somewhere peaceful to relax and hang out and just go with the flow. Saturday we took the kids to the zoo and did a little bit of shopping at the outlets on the way back. Then we had tin foil dinners and s'mores (not necessarily in that order). Sunday we thoroughly disrupted the Wanship Ward sacrament meeting (sorry, I can't help that I have three kids and they are bad, all you people who think church is supposed to be quiet and keep glaring at me over your shoulder...) and just hung out. We headed home Monday morning. Here are a few pics of the trip:
I think we have pictures of Dallin in front of this gorilla thing every year since he was born!

Yes, my boys' underwear is always showing.

Abby pulled out her pigtail, as usual.

I was so excited to see that the zoo finally got a sloth! I don't know why I love sloths so much, probably because I can relate to them. "I know I should get up and do something, but it's just so much work... I think I'll just hang here for another minute and let my claws grow a few more inches..."

It wouldn't be a Yates family trip if we didn't stop and fish out of every ditch between here and Kamas.

The three boys tromping through a meadow (illegally, I'm sure) to find their next fishing adventure.

The beautiful view from the cabin.

A little friend (on the right) smelled our tin foil dinners...

came in for a closer look...

a little bit closer,
...and totally dissed my cooking! RUDE!

These two were much more polite. I love that little baby with the spots!

"Mom, please can I feed him?"
"No! He was very rude and I didn't appreciate it."

Luke was so excited to go on a 4-wheeler ride and be just like Daddy with his sunglasses and "blonklers,"

But the excitement must have been a little too much. Who falls asleep on a 4-wheeler? I'm not complaining, he stayed asleep and slept all night. Maybe we should try it at home.

My goal in life is to someday live in a pretty little valley like this. Where I can yell at my kids and no one can hear me. That would be heaven. Well, minus the yelling part. I'll try to do better.

12 comments:

Kim said...

You are so funny!!! How rude of that deer to diss your dinner. I'm sure Jason will get him back this hunting season.

carrie said...

Oh my gosh....what a fun time. My kids would be in heaven. I'm laughing at Kim's comment above..... Isn't that the truth?? That poor deer. ha ha

I loved all the pictures. I can't get over how big Luke is getting. He is a little man now!! :o)

I'm glad you guys are having such a fun summer!! We need to plan our night to go get Breaking Dawn with anyone who wants to go!! Jenny and I are so excited. :o)

Jilleen said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I love "mini" vacations. They seem to get me back on track and ready to tackle the weeks ahead. I think I'll join you in that pretty little valley someday!

Alicia said...

That deer sticking his tongue out is hilarious. I can't stop giggling about it!

My boys have taken many pics with that ape, too. Someday we'll take out our annual pics with the ape to show the boys how much they grew every year. :)

Enjoyed the commentary with the pictures. You tell such great stories!

Christa said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I love the picture of the three boys walking to their next adventure. So cute!

Lindsay said...

I love sloths too! So glad they finally got one!

Christie said...

Great pictures - it looks like so much fun. Sometimes the little "mini-vacs" are the best. I could use one myself right now.

And are you sure that deer was dissing your dinner? Maybe he was licking his lips. Tell Jason to leave him alone :)

Heidi J. said...

you are so funny!! it sound like alot of fun!! Ian falls asleep every time he gets on the four wheeler woth Alans dad theirs something about grandpa.I loved the pictures!

Oceanchild said...

That place looks amazing! I think it is great that you guys have to fish in every ditch, but what do you and Abby do while the boys are out and about? I don't know how you have so much patience.

And people that aren't used to hearing kids yell in sacrament are not experiencing it to the fullest.

Tara said...

Everytime I read your blog, I laugh out loud. The deer dissing your dinner was hilarous. When Jason mounts the deer, put some tin foil in its mouth with a sign that said, "I should have just shut my mouth and eaten what was made for dinner."

Cutie Pies said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us!! Luke is only 2 weeks older than Austin, but he's quite a bit bigger. Course, guess I should have just looked at their parents to have predicted that, though. I love your mini-vacation! It sounds like so much fun. We need one of those!

I think your story telling is top-notch, too. Maybe you should start writing books. Another Stephenie Meyers maybe. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

oh, i love the pic of jason and abby. how cute! it sounds like you guys had a great time. sorry about the deer being so rude. maybe next time, he'll try to be nicer! love!