Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Youth Conference at Camp Williams

Last week we had our Stake Youth Conference at Camp Williams. Being the pessimist that I sometimes (usually) am, I was really not looking forward to it. I thought, "How in the world are we going to control a bunch of teenagers on an army base, who are probably not too excited about sleeping in barracks, getting up at 6 am, and doing service projects/listening to devotionals all day long?" Well, I was wrong. It was so fun! I was actually sad when we had to go home on Saturday. We have the greatest kids in our ward and stake, and they have a good time no matter what they are doing. They get along, they participate, they include everyone, and there wasn't a single discipline problem the entire 3 days (that I'm aware of). I was so impressed. And Camp Williams was very cool. I've never been on an army base and it was so crazy to see all the military peeps there, marching around and singing their little chants. They were so cute. Ha ha.
This is the rappelling tower. We all got to go down twice. I was so proud of many of the kids who were terrified of heights, but did it anyway, like my little buddy in red.


The kids got to do the Leadership Reaction Courses, where they are issued a challenge and have to figure out how to make it happen. Most of them involved getting heavy (50-60 lb.) boxes of ammunition across water with almost no supplies to help. I was secretly glad the leaders weren't supposed to participate, but the kids loved it and did a great job.


This little lizard was our mascot for about 10 minutes until somebody pulled his tail off. We all got MASH t-shirts, which I will wear proudly. To bed at least.

12 comments:

Heidi P said...

Wow, that looks like nuts!? Fun though! How fun to have good kids in your ward...That says a lot. Glad it was better than expected :)

Christie said...

I actually think that looks like a ton of fun. I'm glad you managed to enjoy yourself.

Tiffany said...

I'm actuall ya little jealous. I love the youth callings and going to things like that. It looked like fun but I don't know if the military guys would like knowing you thought their march was cute. hehe

Alicia said...

I had fun, too! And you're right, the kids are so fantastic in our ward. I truly feel so privileged to be involved with them. And for a self-proclaimed pessimist, you sure seemed to be enjoying yourself (and those chocolate Creamies!)

Teresa said...

wow, camp has changed since my days I guess. that looks like a lot of fun! next year can I come with you? we'd have so much fun :)

Andrea said...

That looks like alot of fun! I love challenging things like that. Poor little lizard, I think its sad when that happens, and does it ever grow back?!!

janae said...

That looks like it was fun. My son would have loved it. I think your mash shirts are so cute! Was that you repelling with your friend in red? I think I recognize you from your thin little body. I can't imagine what the harness would have done to my butt!

carrie said...

I'm laughing at Janae's comment....'cause I thought the same thing about myself. Yikes.... :o) I think that looks like fun, actually!! I'll bet all the kids just love you. You are such a great person for them to have in YW. :o)

Anonymous said...

I bet they just loved you too!!

Anonymous said...

wow, you all look like your all enjoying the conference. for some reason army bases terrify me. glad you had tons of fun.

Heidi J. said...

It sounds like you guys had alot of fun!! Krissy said that it was alot of fun and you brought alot of pop. I am excited that Dallin and Bailie have the same teacher this year.

Cami said...

Hey Anne Marie,
I hope you don't mind, I checked out your blog through Jen Myers' and it is so fun to see your family and get to know you better. It's a way cute blog! You are too pretty for words! No fair! :)