Monday, August 6, 2007

And the new Young Women's President is....

Okay, so maybe camp went a little TOO well. I was looking forward to just getting through it and taking a small break from life and all things stressful until the baby gets here in a few months... and then I got a phone call to go meet with the bishop last Wednesday. So I thought, well, our ward just split, they probably want me to do some small thing and that's okay, I guess I can handle it. So I wasn't really worried, even though they said to bring Jason along. I just figured they liked him or something. Then there was a little confusion about the time so I ended up bringing the boys instead of getting a sitter, which was a huge mistake. It was also a mistake to give them suckers to keep them quiet because it had the exact opposite effect on them. So I'm sitting there trying to ignore the two wild monkeys tearing apart the bishop's office and maintain a calm composure using the falsetto I-really-am-a-good-mother-and-don't-beat-my-kids tone with them that is about 3 octaves higher than my normal voice while still focusing on what the bishop is saying to me, when he asks me to be the Young Women's President. I was like, "The holiday who-be whattie? What did you say?" It was one of those moments where time just stands still and you know your whole life is about to change and it feels like it really isn't even happening. Meanwhile, my children are putting on a huge display of why I am a totally incompetent mother, and I don't know why the bishop didn't just change his mind right then and there. But he didn't, and I accepted, and here I am. I'm trying not to be completely overwhelmed, but to tell the truth, at this point, I am. Am I doing things the right way? I don't know. Will I ever get it all figured out? I don't know. Do I need a nap? Yes. Well, at least I know one thing. So I better go squeeze in a few minutes of rest before Jason gets home from work so I don't completely scare the daylights out of him when he walks through the door. I mean, if I hadn't just been at camp and seen firsthand how great the girls are in our ward, I really couldn't do this. But I know that even though I will make a ton of mistakes, and I feel like I already have, it will all be worth it in the end. Right? Here's to hoping....

9 comments:

Aaron said...

hahaha you will be a great young women's president!love the post.

Oceanchild said...

Wow! I can't wait till they promote you to General YW President the way you are making your way up the ranks!! Congrats! I can't believe you can do all the things you do. I can't make it through the opening song in RS because Landon screams the whole time I'm at the piano. I almost resigned on Sunday. I must look to you for inspiration. :) Congrats!

alison said...

You will be so great being the Prez! Jason will now probably be the greeter again because you have such a big calling - he better appreciate it! haha. Love the post!

Anonymous said...

You will be the best YW President ever! You should have skipped out on Girls Camp like I did then you wouldn't have this calling. :) You will do so good though. I love the post..especially the part about Dallin and Luke being all crazy. Love!

Teresa said...

Ampy You'll be soooo awesome as the YWP! The girls already love you to death & their love will only grow stronger ha. Good luck with it all! me & you could start a lehi paddlers now that i have a kayak too! it seats 2...

Beth Soelberg said...

Hope it's not weird that I'm a random person leaving a comment...okay, it is weird, but...

I'm a member who lives in MI, and I was just called TODAY to be our ward YW president. I Googled the "Young Women's President" and this is what came up!

Your experience mirrored mine exactly, right down to the kids bouncing off the walls!

I feel overwhelmed too. Good luck with your new calling!

Andrew and Kathy said...

I know this is really weird but I came across your blog post when I searched for "young women president." I was recently just called to the young womens in our ward and have no clue what I am doing. We have now been asked to submit a budget for next year and I was wondering how you decided how much to spend on activities, camp, New Beginnings,etc. Any little bit of info would be so awesome.

Crazy Blessed said...

Can I tell you that. Today, I was called to be the young woman's president in our ward. You don't know me but I have two kids and I live in Iowa...and I'm freaking out! I just typed "young women's president" into Google and it took me here. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Anonymous said...

ahahahaaaa,
I am a total stranger to you and I am dying laughing because I came to your blog after typing YW pres into google and thought I would be all tricky and get some tips from someone who knows what they are doing.... and it looks as if I am just joining the group. haha.
So, you might be sick of people asking but I ALSO just got called as the President and I am beyond terrified. I have been in primary for 10 years, 6 years as president.
If you have any tips at all,(what to do first) I am all ears and would be sooooo happy!!
Thanks and sorry for the random comment.
~Jaime