Monday, August 13, 2007

As if I need another project...


Dallin and I got started today on refinishing this old cabinet that I rescued from my parents' shed in Burley. It was built by my great-uncle somebody a million years ago and it was in my dad's house when he was growing up, and then it was in our house when I was growing up. It finally made its way out to the shed after many relocations throughout the house, and I claimed it when I found out it was probably on its way to the dump. I feel so cool, like I have a real family heirloom or something. I remember it being in the family room with my dad's stereo on it and dancing around to Abba tapes when I was so little. My dad would always pick us up and sing to us and put our names in the songs. I really thought that Abba knew who I was in those days. I also thought that they lived inside the stereo and sang whenever we wanted them to, but that's a blog for another day. Anyway, my idea is to paint the cabinet black and get new knobs and hinges and put it in my family room and give my kids crazy ideas. I'll let you know how it turns out... And yes, Dallin is in charge of the left door, bless his heart.

8 comments:

alison said...

It is going to look SO good! I remember those days like it was just yesterday dancing around to ABBA. Where did the time go? Dallin's door looks great!

Christa said...

I love the new look. Where do you plan to put it?

Christa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oceanchild said...

I can't believe all the stuff you manage to take on. Do you somehow have more than 24 hours/day?

I love the cabinet. I actually remember it at your house too. I don't remember Abba so much, but I do remember Anne Murry. She may not have been living in the same place as Abba though.

Teresa said...

haha, i think i wrote 'i heart marci & quinn' i hope you can still see it after you paint it. it's going to look so cool! you are amazing, you can turn anything into cool. that's funny that you thought abba knew who you were because i thought the beach boys knew who i was! i asked mom one time when i was like 6 if they were singing to me. she said "probably not, i think they're singing to older girls."

Anonymous said...

You are my inspiration. I remember having that cabinet in my bedroom from when I was like 12. Ha ha. I loved it - I especially love the I heart Marci and Quinn.

Aaron said...

good job i am sure it will look great when it is done

Dimick's said...

How in the heck could you paint over such beautiful names? ha ha ha
Thanks for the little shout out.