Thursday, July 10, 2008

Magical Bee Paste

So the other night I was mowing the lawn while the boys played on the play set. I made one swipe of the lawn and they were fine, then I turned around to do the next swipe, and when I faced them again they were both SCREAMING bloody murder. I couldn't hear them because of the mower, so I turned it off and ran over and saw that they were being swarmed by hornets, holding up their hands and yelling, "We got stung, we got stung!!!" I gave them what was probably bad advice, but the only way out of the situation, "RUN!!!!" It turns out that Dallin had been climbing the ladder and reached around right into a fresh hornet nest so he of course got stung on his hand, but I guess the bees didn't want to stop there because they flew right up to Luke on the slide and stung him on the hand, too, just for good measure. I feel bad for anyone who happened to be in the neighborhood at the time and had to hear all the commotion. I ushered the boys inside to survey the damage. Dallin had one sting, Luke had two. They were both hysterical, and in pain, which I can understand. Fortunately, I have a solution to the pain of a bee sting. It brings me back to a little experience I had at BYU a few years ago (Julia, I can hear you laughing right about now). I had been lounging on the lawn in front of the SFLC, waiting for my sign language class to begin. When I stood up to put my flip-flops on, I stepped on a bee and was promptly stung on the bottom of my foot. It was my first bee sting ever. Oh, the pain! I sat back down and waited for it to go away. Through my tears, I took my shoe and began beating all the bees on the lawn, hoping for some kind of revenge and/or relief. I closed my eyes and repeated, "Faith of a mustard seed, faith of a mustard seed," over and over (oh come on, that always works!). But still, nothing. Long story short, it never stopped hurting. I abandoned the sign language class (I never learned anything anyway) and hobbled my way home with tears running down my face. After several hours, I finally went to the health center, convinced that I was allergic to bee stings and was probably on my death bed. The doctor was not impressed. "It's just a common bee sting. Take some baking soda and add a little water to make a paste, and that will take the pain away." Um, hello, I'm dying here? I was so offended. I hinted around at getting some prescription pain killers, but he just sent me home. Yeah, right, like some idiot baking soda could cure this kind of agony. I didn't even try it right away, out of pride, but finally I couldn't take it any longer, so I broke down and made the paste and dabbed it on my foot. About 30 seconds later... the pain was gone. I thought it was a fluke and the sting must have been on its way out anyway. But, a few minutes later the paste had absorbed and the pain came back. As long as I kept fresh paste on it, it felt fine. So I made a little note to myself: baking soda + water = bee sting relief. That little formula has actually come in quite handy over the years. And it certainly did the other night. I grabbed a bowl, dumped in some baking soda, added a little water and stirred it around. I was rubbing it on the boys' hands when Jason came in and asked what in the world was going on. He ran into the garage to grab the bee spray and by the time he returned, both boys were perfectly calm. It was like a miracle had occurred.

The beautiful substance that saved my sanity on Monday night.
Dallin doing a reinactment of the tragic event. No children were harmed in the making of this photo.

I love this stuff because it creates a big foam ball that weighs the bees down so they don't get you after you squirt them! Watch out bees, I'm on a mission...
That's right, you little piece of junk hornet's nest... it's over!!!
I am considering making a book of home remedies, but so far this is the only home remedy I know of. Still, if I can save even one person from pain, it will be worth it. Feel free to share any secret remedies that you know of. And I will try to post more often.

22 comments:

Shelly said...

We have had a thousand wasps on our playgound also. I hate it because the kids won't go into the backyard to play. Ryan sprayed them last week and I haven't seen many so I think it worked. Glad to see you up and blogging again.

Heidi P said...

Hi Anne Marie!! We have missed your great humor.
So sorry about the bee stings! Yikes. They do hurt. German Camommile oil takes the pain away instantly too. Its awesome. Glad you remembered your home rememdy to help your kiddos.
How is Abby doing?
Glad to have you back! :)

Christa said...

I need to write that down so I'll remember when Katelyn gets another bee sting. Thanks for the tip!!

Stephanie said...

I am glad you are back! I hate bees and wasps and hornets and pretty much any creepy flying thing. I hope the boys are feeling better. Thanks for the bee sting tip.

Lindsay said...

Glad you're back! You truely are hillarious, post more, I love reading your posts. You always crack me up.

I got stung by a hornet on my back once and it was the first and only time I've let the F word fly. Holy !!!! It hurts! You are much better than me to chant, "faith of a mustard seed"

Give us an update on your sweet Abby soon!

Alicia said...

So glad you're posting again! I seriously laugh out loud at every post. They are always so fun.

Thanks for the baking soda tip. I had no idea! I've got to get that foaming stuff. Will was on a mission to kill wasps yesterday and he was so nervous you would've thought his life was in danger. Would be great to nix the swarm factor.

Anonymous said...

yeah, we can relate with the bee stings. i swear mark gets bee stings every year, we think he's allergic to them. the baking soda did work on one occassion. now we keep on hand some natural oils that have worked wonderfully. hope the boys are okay, it is painful...good to see your blogging again. hey i also went to broadbents this week love the fabric there, they do have a great selection. i'm attempting to work on something...teresat

Anonymous said...

ITS GOOD TO SEE YOUR BACK ... I HAVE BEEN ON A MONTH LEAVE FROM BLOGGING ALSO... IT HAPPENS .... SOUNDS LIKE THE STINGS WHERE PAINFUL I AM GOING TO WRITE DOWN YOUR MAGIC PAIN RELIEF ... MISS YA

carrie said...

I am soooo allergic to bees....and I have to admit, I'm really scared of them. Jaxon was attacked by a swarm of bees last year at a football practice. It was so sad. He is terrified of them now. I will remember your magic remedy, too. :o) I missed reading your blog....and I'm so glad you posted again. I miss you so much. Let's get together.

Kim said...

Hey Anne Marie, I ran across your blog from a friends, and it's so good to see what has been happening with you. Your family is absolutely adorable. I used to see Rita and lacey quite often and they would fill me in on the latest, but now we will have to get together one of these days. By the way, this is Kim Adams from the old ward.

Christie said...

Poor boys. I got stung once on my leg, and it left a scar! So I know its bad. I'm glad you killed the hornet's nest too. That'll teach them!

And thanks for the update!

Stephanie F. said...

Glad you're back! I have a scar from a bee sting too!
Share some more home remedies! :)

a-anderson said...

I have missed you posts. I am so glad you are back. Thanks for the tip. I could have used that a time or two.

Anonymous said...

YEAH! SO glad to read a new post from YOU!! You just crack me up...."I was hinting at some prescription pain killers!" LOL :) And thanks for the great remedy, too....My mom always said to use this certain brand of meat tenderizer, when we got stung. Yours is much easier to remember, and to have on hand as well. Glad you are having a fun summer!

WeTheTeeples said...

I am so glad you posted again.

Heidi J. said...

Hey. Im glad to see your back thanks for the tip those little buggers must like those swing sets I have the same problem Bailie is always teling my dad that it is time to come and kill the bees agian.

Jilleen said...

I read this post then spotted a massive hornets nest on our roof. Luckily our playset has been hornet free, but I can see why... they were ALL on the roof! I'm glad you remembered that home remedy. I've heard placing a penny on the sting works too. I'm not convinced though!

Anonymous said...

Ampy, I've missed your posts so much! Please never go this long without updating. :) I'm so glad you remembered your magical bee paste for Dallin and Lukey. They are very lucky to have you as their mom! I also love all the reenactment pics. I'm homesick for you and your kiddies! Love!!

The Gatherum Family said...

So glad you are back!!! I have only been stung once and the dang critter flew DOWN my swimming suit bottoms and stung me right on the ol' keister. It hurt like *#$@*@. Anyways, good to see you posting again!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the tip AnnMarie! I am always in search of something new from the house that really works. I will remember this one. Josh is deathly afraid of bees and he is the only one that ever gets stung :) I think its hilarious. I know I'm mean :). Glad to know your doing ok! See you thursday!

Tara said...

Ok, So when I had a bee sting when I was little, my mom got dirt and water and made and paste. She would put it on the stinger and let it dry. When you peeled the paste away after it was dry, it would pull the whole stinger out! MAGIC! I have been blogstalking you for awhile and have missed your postings. You are probably one of the funniest people ever!
Tara

Oceanchild said...

Ahh the bee sting on campus story. You are right, I am snickering here in my cube because it is still such a great image, you and the flip flops taking on the bees.

Faith of a mustard seed has NEVER worked for me so far...

Glad the boys are okay and didn't get more stings. I can't stand when Jeff decides it is time to "battle the hornets" because I know one of these days Landon will be out there and covered in bees...like that guy with the bee beard. yikes!