Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Grandmother's Funeral/The Day Dallin took a Swing at one of the Twelve Apostles

My grandma's funeral was yesterday and it was so good. My whole family, except for my brother Steven, who is on a mission, was able to be there. I think all of the grandchildren except for two were there, so you can imagine how many great-grandkids there were. The service was really nice, but I'm surprised at how hard it is to say good-bye to someone who is 90 years old and has lived a full and happy life. It seems like it would be easy, but I don't know if it ever is. It was a good day though, and there was only one event that made me wish I had never been born. L. Tom Perry was at the funeral because he is related to my family by marriage (he is married to my uncle's sister) and it was really neat to have a general authority there. He gave some really nice closing remarks and after the meeting he happened to be standing in the chapel talking to some people as we walked through to go to the car. Okay, fine, van. We were on our way to the van. Anyway, he finished up talking just as we passed and he turned to greet us. Dallin, who had just left the nursery and was not happy about it, was the first in line. Elder Perry greeted him and held out his hand, "Hello, young man, how are you?" to which Dallin replied by giving a loud whine and acting like he was going to hit him. LT: "Well, it looks like someone could use a nap!" Dallin: "NOOOOOO!!!" Which just, you know, is one of those proud moments as a parent when you wish there was some way you could pass your child off as belonging to someone else. But there was no one else around and the floor didn't swallow me up like I was praying it would, so Jason and I just gave fake little laughs and tried to pretend our 4-year-old had not just tried to attack one of the Twelve Apostles. Luckily, L.Tom is a jolly old soul and laughed it off and turned his attention to Luke's big bushy head of hair, which comes in handy in a lot of situations. It's like the ultimate ice breaker to have a 2-year-old who looks like he's 40. 40 in a cute way.

Sorry, Elder Perry.

9 comments:

a-anderson said...

That is terrible. But so funny when it is someone else's kid! It sound like something one of my kids would do. You will have to write that down in his scrapbook to tease him with later. Sorry again about your Grandmother. Let me know if you need anything. Also, let me know when you get back and I will bring over the stitching patterns you let me borrow.

carrie said...

Anne Marie!! I missed your blogs :o) I hope you and your family are doing OK. I'm glad the funeral went well, but I have to say that the story about Dallin made me laugh. Like Alish said, it's always funny when it's not your own child. ha ha Please let me know if I can do anything to help you out, now that your're back. I'm sure you had a hard week.... I would be really glad to help!!

Aaron said...

haha i heard about dallin hitting L tom. Look at my blog later today i think i will post a post about l tom i got some great pictures of him with mom and dad. Well...In the viewing room so he probably knew that i took about 10 pictures of them!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this about killed me from laughing so hard since I still have a hard time breathing. I'm just surprised it wasn't Luke that tried to hit L.Tom. Ha ha! Now, we know what you'll have to name your next boy...Perry Yates! :)I'm so excited you're coming to KS in two weeks!

Oceanchild said...

Oh I love L. Tom. I can bet Luke's hair saves the day at times. And you hold your head up when you walk to that van! :)

Gina said...

I think sometimes kids know what they are doing to their moms!! It's their revenge for all the times we dress them up in silly outfits and make them pose for our pictures!! I'm glad to see other kids embarress(sp?) their moms too!! I've missed your blogs by the way and sorry about your grandma.

Oceanchild said...

So I should just tell you this in person but I know I'll forget. There's a guy at my work at his new nephew is Dallin Yates...I know they stole it from you!

Shauna said...

I am glad to hear that all went as well as it could at the funeral. I agree with you that know matter what it is never easy to let someone pass on. Sorry again. I do have to tell you however that Dallin's story made me laugh so hard. I swear AnneMarie, you really should have your own column in a magazine. Your blog posts are so entertaining. Take care.

Kyle said...

ha ha that was so funny. Ampy, I love the way you write. I just see you wanting the floor to swallow you up. Very awesome.