Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Self-control does NOT run in the family!

So who in the heck invented advent calendars anyway? Just a little FYI to that person - it isn't really possible to eat just one chocolate a day. Hello. The good news is, our 99 cent advent calendar lasted until December 13. The bad news is, we didn't start until the 9th. It was a great 9th of December, sharing 9 chocolates with Dallin and Luke in the name of catching up. We did fine on the 10th and 11th, with the boys taking turns eating one chocolate each, and then on the 12th it was my turn. I would love to blame it on my kids, but I was actually the one who got "ahead" a few days. I don't know why. That chocolate is so stale and disgusting. It must just be the appeal of the forbidden that I couldn't resist. So the next day when Dallin went to get the 13th chocolate and found the door already open and the space empty, I couldn't really tell him that he couldn't jump ahead a few days, too. When, later that day, I discovered that the whole thing had been polished off, I just had to shrug my shoulders and think, "Those were some nasty chocolates! I'm glad they're gone!"

19 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

I'm so glad that I don't like chocolate very much, otherwise I would be in trouble... I have no self control.

The Gatherum Family said...

OH I am DYING laughing right now. Sounds JUST like something I'd do. Hey, I've missed ya in the bloggerhood. Glad you're back!

Mary said...

I totally just laughed out loud!

Tara said...

HILARIOUS! That would so be me and the kids eating those-at least you are strong enough to admit it.

Christie said...

I LOVE it! And the simple fact that you would do that makes me feel even better about the fact that my family would SO do that too :)

Shelly said...

That is so funny. Treats do not last long in our house either.

Joanne said...

LOL!!! just like Jake. We started on Dec 1st and lasted only 10 days.And, he started eating JT's calendar too. And he said..Mommy it's only 49 cents now. LOL... I can't wait to post the pic. tomorrow.

Oceanchild said...

We don't have any edible advent calendars, but only because I think the chocolate is gross. If they were the tasty ones, I'm sure we'd get several. I love Dallin's face....haha

a-anderson said...

That is too funny. I loved your Christmas Card, by the way. Such a cute family!!!

Christa said...

That is hilarious! We have our advent calendar high up so Katelyn can't eat all of them!

Anonymous said...

i know advent calendars don't work at our house either. this post was hilarious. you always make me laugh.

carrie said...

If I looked like YOU...I wouldn't have to control myself around chocolate, either!! ;o) Seriously, you're so funny...and I loved the pictures. I couldn't get over how CUTE your family picture was on your Christmas card. I loved it...and your family is as beautiful as ever. Little Abby is growing up so fast.

Heidi J. said...

that is so funny!! we are having the same problem but its not with the chocolate it is are christmas chane maybe if we get rid of the chanes christmas will be here sooner. I love the picture!!

Julie said...

Hilarious, sounds just like my house. My little boy ate 2 whole boxes of orange sticks that were going to my visiting teachers one morning before we even knew he was awake. Nice!

Heidi P said...

Haha..That is funny. Those chocolates weren't very good. I remember those. They were fun though! :)

Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS! I totally laughed too! Especially that it was you that started it! I agree-they are really disgusting-but my kids love them. And we LOVED the card....What a GORGEOUS family! Thanks for thinking of us :) If I did cards thsi year, you would for sure have gotten one :) Merry Christmas!!

Tiffany said...

That's awesome. You guys are hilarious. That's why i do the non-chocolate version of the advent calenders.

Joy said...

That is hysterical. And Amen those chocolates are nasty.

The Spradlin Family said...

Great taste in Christmas cards, if I do say so myself. I hope you guys had a great Christmas!